View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #66
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There are a few things that need to be brought up in regards to this subject. (This is almost a repeat of a thread that was active a week or so ago).

1) Books are always cheaper at Amazon.

2) Any book that is SOLD on any website I have found is also available on ALL websites. It appears to me that Amazon, Sony, Fictionwise, eReader etc all get the same books from the same eBook publishers, these companies then convert to their format. I haven't found (yet) that any of the eBook retail sellers have exclusive rights to the eBooks of any publishers. Which means that as far as my preferences in book reading goes it doesn't matter where I buy my books, as I can get them from any and all retail sellers. In which case PRICE dictates where I buy my books. (Please see 1 above)

3. Importance of content depends on what a person's interest is. I'm glad that there are free books available at Gutenberg, Manybooks etc but they are not the books I'm interested in. I like books that have been published recently and/or on bestseller lists. It will be a long time before any of the Harry Potter books will be available free from Gutenberg. So, if a person wants to read Harry Potter (legally) he/she has to buy it.
(Please see 1 above)

This argument about which reader will win out in the end seems a little silly to me anyways. Everyone on this site has a different set of circumstances which influence which reader will work for them. If they're in the US or not, is Whispernet available in their area, how much money can they budget for a reader and books, what type of PC do they own, are they computer savvy enuf to convert from one format to another etc etc. I'm just happy that there is more than one choice of readers and formats out there and that a Sony 505 might make sense to someone who likes the classics, who has a Windows based PC, and likes the lower cost, where as a Kindle would make more sense to someone who has a Mac and doesn't mind the extra cost of buying the Kindle, but knows that he/she will make up for it because of the cheaper books at Amazon(assuming they'll buy enuf!) One thing is for sure. So far in my opinion there hasn't been a reader yet made that is perfect, and I started in Sept 2001 with a Palm M505 and progressed through a couple of Sony Clie's, Tapwave Zodiac's, the Sony 500, 505 and currently have the Kindle. What is important is that a person picks the best option for them as far as their circumstances and just enjoy the pleasure of a GOOD READ! Don't worry if you have the best reader, just READ!
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote