View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #33
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Apple is out of the question for me just because of their obsession with platform lock-in. I don't have an iPod, I don't have an iPhone, and I'm not going to buy anything starting with i- from them. With Apple, you have to struggle (and/or pay) to get it onto the device, and good luck using it on any other device, and it's not worth it unless you're in love with sleek white cases and minimalist design. I just bought $20 worth of ebooks over at Baen, and they're on my PRS-500 now, but if I want, I can read them on this PC, or on my netbook, or on whatever else I might have lying around that can read whatever file type I choose (if Baen doesn't offer it, Calibre can convert it). You just can't do that with an iFeminineHygieneProduct (seriously, worst name since the Wii).
Everything you said is true of ALL the devices. I read Baen books just fine with either my iPhone or my iPad. But unlike the Sony, I can read Kindle books on both of those devices as well -- without having to break the DRM.

Don't get an iDevice if you don't want to -- but do a better job of analyzing the reasons. If you buy a book from the Sony store, you can't read it on a non-Sony device. If you buy a kindle book -- you can't read it except via Kindle apps. So the same is true of buying from the Apple iBookstore. When all the players do something, it's not a differentiator between them.

If you want to read Kindle books and Barnes and Noble Books and Apple Books and Kobo Books you can buy one of each of those proprietary book readers....or you can get an iPad and read them all. All except Sony at this point.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote