View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
This comment intrigues me, David M. Has this always been the case with OneNote, or is it a recent development?
I'm not sure if they've always been adamant about it, but when I went searching for information about getting some decent default spacing, MS support was almost hostile to whomever had asked about it before me. Apparently they want a bright line between ON and Word.

I actually just use a hard space between paragraphs and then do a find and replace in Word once I'm ready to export.

Quote:
I'm not sure how accurate the info was, but I read on the net that there are compatibility problems between ON 2007 and Windows 7, so I'm going to download a demo of ON 2010, just to see if I get on with it.

I did a quick search for MR posts concerning OneNote, and noticed that you seem to be experienced in using it. Which version have you preferred David M?

Thanks for all the help and advice.
I used OneNote 2003 until I got 2010. In all honesty, there isn't much difference given that about the only time I touch the ribbon is to do a word count (that's not there by default either, someone made an addon). The interface that I actually do work with (tabs and pages) is largely the same between the two.

If you ever should want to work with a mobile device, support tends to start with 2010, and might soon move to starting with 2013 if there's any compatibility issues between their formats. And BTW, you don't necessarily need the cloud to do onenote mobile. Mobilenoter, for example, will work directly with onenote files, so you could work out a local scheme for moving back and forth between desktop and whatever. You could actually work on all your files from an sd/microsd, autosync them daily to your hard drive (to protect against card failure), and then move that sd to your mobile to work on it. I still haven't worked out an exact mobile strategy myself, but right now I'm planning to put one mobile notebook on skydrive and copy content from there to my normal notebooks as necessary.

OneNote is not without many faults, as I hope I've made clear, but I love it all the same. It's like a family pet that will scratch your eyes out for no reason every few weeks, but likes to cuddle the rest of the time. OneNote fits my screwed up way of thinking so well, I couldn't possibly replicate the productivity I've gotten from it with anything else, even despite its shortcomings.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote