View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Larksong
Larksong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Newbie needs help

I'm new at the whole e-reader software game, and I'm not particularly tech-savvy, so I need some step-by-step help. I have a Sony PRS-505, and I have Calibre. I've downloaded a lot of public-domain books, either in ePUB format or as .txt files which I had Calibre convert to ePUB. I can get those books into Calibre and from there onto my Sony Reader without a problem.

Now I want to start buying some e-books from Kobo Books (and possibly the Sony store as well), and I can't figure out how to do it and still use Calibre. Kobo Books wants me to use Adobe Digital Editions to download books and then upload them to my Sony Reader. However, I read somewhere that using more than one program to load books onto my reader (or SD card) will make my reader freak out.

I like Calibre a lot, and would prefer to keep using it. Is there a way to download the DRMed books to Digital Editions, then somehow transfer them to Calibre to put them on my Sony Reader? And if there is, can the same process be used to share those purchased books with my daughter, who has the same model Sony Reader I do (and lives in my house)? (I understand I can "authorize" several devices using Digital Editions?) And if the answer to any or all of these questions is yes, could someone please walk me through the process step-by-step?

Thank you,
Larksong
Larksong is offline   Reply With Quote