View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #47
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you store your electronic media on your hard drive then they cannot take it from you. If you are silly enough to not back up your electronic media then you are at fault. Pretty much basic common sense.
While I agree backing stuff up is the smart thing to do - and so is stripping DRM - I don't think this much work should fall on the consumer. No-one should have to read forums, download third party software and then customize it, to protect their own private property. Some of us here really like this kind of stuff and don't mind - but can you really expect the average user to go through all of this? My mother, for example, barely knows how to turn a PC off. But she loves her Kindle. Now, if something happens to her content, would it be her fault?

It's like pretending you understand how to fix engines before you buy a car. If you buy a car from GM, and it stops working six months later, is it your fault that you did not, in anticipation, make the necessary modifications to prevent that from happening?

What I mean is, I don't think this excuses firms. Yes, you can protect yourself. But you shouldn't have to.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote