View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by apos View Post
Ha! - this could be the reason: 2.1.2 - RC6. THX. Tried the get_root.app, but did not succed (also tried everything from commandline). I read about that problem and therefore didn't try furthermore. The RC6-Version speeds up the display really a lot! It is stable, as I can say after 3 days with it. The only thing: the Mp3-Player (which I never use) is not working any more.

... and a personal greeting: greets to Vancouver, visited this city some years ago and also hiked around Vancouver Island. It's one of my favourite lovely places out there - beside my own city, certainly
I rooted mine (2.0.4) and fixed it so that ssh can get a proper pty. I haven't used root since; these devices are nicely modifiable as is, and it is only the occasional setup bug that needs root to fix it. If I could get a proper pty for ssh/screen/terminal emulator,... I would upgrade to the latest firmware in a second. However, most of the recent improvements are for the touchscreen models, and there isn't a compelling reason for me to upgrade and lose my fix.

The root exploit in the older firmwares takes advantage of an obvious security hole; the netagent program was owned by root and had the suid bits set. Easy-peasy to use, and I guess also easy to fix in later firmware versions.

And greetings to you. I've never been to the island myself, but as you said, it's pretty nice around Vancouver, as well. I've also never been to Europe, so I'll take your word for it that your city is nicer. I'm sure that it is drier.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote