Thread: DRM confusion
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #55
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
You can

It's called Kindle4PC, Kindle4Mac, KindleforIPhone, Kindle4Android and (in the US officially, but apparently it sorta works outside), Kindle4Blackberry
But what about Kindle books for my Sony reader or on my Kobo reader or any other epub based reader for that matter?

Kindle DRM prevents you from moving your books to another device that does not run Kindle software and similarly it prevents my epubs from being read on the Kindle, and to make matters worse, it prevents iBooks books from even being read on any other device, even one that support DRM epubs!

So all of the manufacturers are trying to lock you into one store, or one platform. They claim they are doing it to protect their and the authors' "copyright" but by doing so they unfairly take away your rights as well including the right to copy for personal use, the right to move between book formats, the right to move between platforms, the right to lend or borrow a book, and in many cases the it prevents the ability for the device to read the book out loud for the deaf, and etc.

I only buy books that I can remove the DRM from so that I truly own them. I never post them for the public or give them away - I want all authors/publishers/bookstores etc to make a decent profit but at the prices they charge I do not believe in their supposed "license to use" model enforced by their DRM.

I always try to vote with my wallet (I wish everyone would) therefore I *never* buy from Apple's iBooks since their DRM has yet to be broken.

Please don't mistake DRM for what it really is - a form of vendor lock-in with associated loss of user rights backed up by unfair laws (in the US at least) that prevent you from trying to to develop or share DRM removal solutions so that you can keep your rights and fight the vendor lock-in.

Instead of adding DRM (and all of its associated costs and headaches) I would rather see a small extra fee paid to some author/publisher association by everyone for every device, dvd, cdrom sold. Much easier and much cheaper to implement and better for everyone involved (no one is forced to become a "criminal" just to get what they already paid for.

My 2 cents

Sad but true.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-22-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote