View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I believe some of the difficulty lies in the fact it is cross platform, and needs to be relatively the same on Linux, Mac and Windows. Some more comes from the fact that calibre is a Swiss Army Knife and functions that are important to some are useless to others...ie. I would almost never use scissors on a knife, but need the screwdriver.

It also has to be maintainable and give no additional support headaches.
There is another well known program that shares some of Calibre's characteristics, open-source, multiple platforms, written in Python - I'm sure many would have heard of it - The Gimp.

GIMP supports themes, these can be used to recast the look and some of the feel of the User Interface. IMO The Gimp's UI is more complex than Calibre's. If any substantial redevelopment of Calibre's UI was undertaken maybe it could be done along the lines of what's been done for The Gimp.

Although I fall into the function over form camp, I do prefer basic black to bright white. Samples attached

I eagerly await someone to tell me "that's easy BR, see Preferences->......"

I think there should be a Suggestions section in the forum - I know there's one for Plug-Ins but how is a mere mortal supposed to know whether a suggestion for improvement might be best implemented as a plugin or in the core product.

BR - thanks to everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Out of the Box.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	89125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Aerolon.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	89126  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote