View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Good night!
I bricked my Kindle playing with /etc/upstart files. I know, I'm a real stupid!
I edited the dbus.conf file and now I'm stuck at the "under the tree" image.
I can enter in diagnostic mode (thanks Geekmaster!!), I can mount USB and drop files in it.
I also have a backup copy of that file, but I don't manage to replace it.

Here's what I'm doing:
in diagnostic mode, I select USB device mode, than open my Kindle USB drive.
I drop data.tar.gz, dbus.conf and this RUNME.sh:

Code:
test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
# The following set of commands will be executed (in the context of your Kindle) exactly once. To make them execute again, remove RUNME.done
#
# (mntroot rw and mntroot ro below are only shown for convenience, and not needed for this particular script. These commands allow
# to modify the internal file system. Use only if you know what you are doing. Oh well, you should have only ended up needing this advice
# if you knew what you were doing in the first place. ;-)
mntroot rw
mv -f /mnt/us/dbus.conf /etc/upstart/dbus.conf
mntroot ro
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
Than, I close USB device mode, reboot the Kindle but I don't find the RUNME.done in USB drive.

Any help?
I have lost count of all the times I bricked mine. It is just standard part of the edit/compile/test/edit/compile/test/brick/debrick development cycle.

In the worst case, use fastboot to flash a clean main partition and matching kernel, then update the firmware to whatever version you want to use, then continue the development cycle at the next step.

If I were you, I would get all my stuff and custom scripts installed, then make a backup of mmcblk0p1 with dd, and then later you can flash that to backstep to the last known good development image you were working on. Then you would not need to reflash a kernel.

EDIT: If I were you, I would use diags SSH to fix the problem in an interactive exploratory manner. A RUNME.sh should check to see if it is running from main or diags, and mount main at /mnt/mmc if it needs to, then make changes there.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-28-2012 at 08:52 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote