View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #398
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Isn't "very large number" relative as well? Here's what I think will happen: This version of the Mini will sell fairly well, but not enough to threaten the Kindle Fire or the N7 in this size category. And it won't approach the success of the original larger iPad. Some say Apple's aim is not to compete with the 7" tablets -- that they see the Mini as a breed apart -- but I think they very much want to dominate in the 7-8" category.

Not sure how you can say the original iPad was a "failure" in any sense. Sure, the ppi was slightly less than the best iOS devices at that time, but the overall technological package represented something new and unique back then, and right out of the box, it worked just as advertised. Its performance was superb. I agree with those who consider the original iPad to be innovative. From the start, I thought it would sell well due to the fact it was the only real option for tablets at the time.

--Pat
Let me rephrase that. I didn't mean the original iPad was a failure. I only thought it would be. I looked at it and said "That's just an overgrown iPod. If I'm going to spend that much money on a computing device I want to be able to use it as, you know, a computing device, not a toy. Like a netbook."

Obviously I have never had the same vision Steve Jobs did. Although I still haven't found much need for an Android or iOS tablet. Our Nook Color gets very little use. The Surface is probably the closest to what I want in a tablet right now, but the lack of apps and Microsoft's closed ecosystem really stinks, and is not what I expected from them.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote