View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
The Case of the Unreadable Book

A veritable mystery!

I loaded about 60 epub books on to my new KT using Calibre (in batches to be on the safe side. Every one showed in Calibre as loaded to "Main". Disconnect from the computer - one book is missing, and I know that this book is readable in both Adobe DE and the Calibre reader.

Connect back to the computer - the book is now not shown as loaded in Calibre, but Windows Explorer shows it there, and it is still readable in Adobe DE. I have tried all of the following tricks to produce new versions of the book, all of which were still readable on the computer but won't show up in the Kobo library:

-Load by copying with Windows Explorer.

-Edit the file with Sigil (minor edit but it means the book gets recompiled).

-Convert epub to epub with Calibre (added metadata to ensure file was changed).

-Convert to rtf file with Calibre to get rid of all the auxiliary files, clean up with Word, and use Atlantis to re-create a totally new epub file.

-Convert to mobi with Calibre, then use Calibre to load this to the Kobo doing an automatic conversion.

There is nothing special about this book - it's only a hundred pages, no graphics, special fonts, etc.

Anyone got any ideas why a book can be so stubborn, or what else I can try to get it readable? As you might guess, at this point, it's not about reading the book on the Kobo (I could have read it on the computer in the time I've spent trying to solve the problem), but I do not like being beaten by a pair of dumb electronic devices. And if it happens again, I'd like to know what causes it and what to do about it.

Thanks for any input. Who's going to take up the challenge?
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote