View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #148
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I agree with the "you can't wait forever" aspect. I do own a Kindle 1, bought a DVD player in 1998. A Blu Ray player in 2008 (waited for the format war to end) etc. So I do early adopt.

On this front it's just a case of something I don't need/want that bad. Paper printouts work fine for me and don't cost me a dime so I have little incentive to pay big bucks to early adopt something like the DR that isn't ideal for my needs, just to read and mark up a handful of PDFs a month.

If I was reading and marking up a hundred articles a month or something I'd be more pressed to adopt something. But now it's probably 1-5 on average a month since I've read most everything in my niche now and avoid branching out in my research too much a it's good to stay focused and I don't want to have to become an expert on a new area as I hate reading academic stuff.

It may well be the case that I never buy any tablet device, as they may never fit my needs or budget, and I may stick with printouts and paper books for my academic work. Time will tell. I'm just no in a hurry.

I'm not being confrontational at all, just explaining why I'm not interest in dropping $800+ on technology that I don't really need or want that much.

I'm more interested in a tablet that's not Windows based for couch web browsing, torrenting, etc. without much risk of viruses as I only have a work laptop so I stay away from random web browsing after having problems with trojans and malware.

So if nothing comes along that fits what I'm looking for in a multi-media tablet device, I may say the hell with the tablet and just shell out for a Macbook for those purposes and stick with paper for my academic reading.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote