View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #125
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
So I'd suggest trying to go <input format> -> ODT -> fix ODT in OO.org -> reimport and reconvert.
I probably misunderstood something somewhere, but I was under the impression that the only format choices in the conversion output menu, useful to use to go out of calibre to fix were:

epub for Sigil fix.
rtf for Word or OOo fix.
pdf for Acrobat fix which I like to avoid.
htmlz which I should probably use after I learn more html.
txt or txtz but I try to avoid those (for what I thought were good reasons but may not be.)
mobi for Mobipocket Creator (for Microsoft OS users, but not anyone else I think.)

I need to pick something (eg RTF) to go out of calibre into the cleaning app with. So if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting: OriginalFormat --> rtf --> odt --> PreferredFormat.

The file size reduction is significantly larger with docx preceding odt in that sequence: OriginalFormat --> rtf --> docx --> odt --> PreferredFormat. I think. Filesize results, I tested several months ago. Next time I have some books to test on I'll check that.

Edit: After I had tested the filesize results either way back then, I didn't test quality results with eliminating docx from the sequence.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-22-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: note re testing, added mobi to format list, readability