View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #137
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
I am curious actually if you wrote the decompression / decryption for the records after the EXTH / PDB record 0 yourself or if you let Perl do that for you? Or did Mobipocket make something special out of it?
The Perl modules Palm::PDB and Palm:oc takes care of the compression and the decompression but this will not work for highest compression because this compression is a secret MobiPocket scheme. I had to overide some code in one of these modules for it to work on some DRM:ed files (also decompress if version was 5).

Quote:
Maybe you'll induldge me and also tell me how you decide the actual amount of PDB records needed to be decompressed for the content since the last three(?) pdb records clearly aren't part of the content itself. They're way too small for that.
The Palm Doc header tells how many records there are in the document. I think that the last two small records that are there sometimes and images are just add ons to the original format and these add ons are not compressed.

Quote:
And.. why would they split the content in such small blocks of 2000 characters or less? Easier handling for small mobile devices?
I have kind of wondered about that also. The number of records for my Oxford Concise Dictionary was ridiculous. Maybe it speeds up the searching or something like that. If you have one word per record for example...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote