View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I distinctly remember my teachers saying, "said," though, and not making the distinction between "said" and a Tom Swifty. You used "said" only once per conversation, and either you stopped using it or had to find something else to use.

Not saying they're right, but this was the '90s and the teacher wasn't very old. So I'm still wondering what the original reason was. Editors going through and deciding that "said" was too repetitive or something?
My ENGLISH teacher said that you could only use siad once, and then had to switch it out. She felt, if I recall right, that it was the same reason we do not like repetitive words in the sentence. Variety makes better sentences!

My CREATIVE WRITING teacher said that was hogwash. He said just use "said" or skip it completely.

English rules are far more subjective then we like to admit I think.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote