Thread: PRS-T1 Sony PRS T1 Charger
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Thanks anaesthezea, I was hoping that would be the story. It sounds as though you have a range of eReaders. Which do you prefer, the Sony or the Kindle?. This will be my first eReader and it was difficult deciding which to buy.
My husband says I have too many! He was a little upset when I pre-ordered the T1, but he'll get over it. I don't complain about all the lawn mowers he's got out in our garage. /smirk/

I have owned a Sony 505 (bought 2007), a Sony 650 (bought 2010), a Kindle 3 WiFi (sold it), a Kindle 3G (Christmas 2010), and a Nook Color. All have pros and cons, depending on your needs/preferences.

Here's what I love about the Sony line of readers:

- More shopping options for ebooks that have DRM
- Many shopping options for ebooks that are non-DRM
- Expandable external memory
- Ease of use with the program Calibre (this is my ereader's best friend)
- Ability to view my books in book cover mode instead of just in list mode (I usually will remember a book by its cover before I remember its title, so i find this very handy for choosing my next read)
- Device longevity (I have had my Sony 505 since 2007 and until a few days ago, it was still going strong. Sadly, I accidentally set something heavy on it and broke the screen. I feel so guilty, I killed the poor thing!)

Here's what I love about the Kindles:

- Amazon's whole eco-system makes it really easy/convenient to buy ebooks from them. The phone apps, the cloud reader, the cloud, and the archive are all very handy.
- Customer Service. I have never had a negative experience with Amazon's CS.
- Ability to email webpages and documents directly to the Kindle from Calibre, my laptop's browser, my phone, etc. I do this for fanfiction and when I'm too lazy to plug my Kindle into my PC.
- Font style and screen contrast.* I love the Caecilia font. The version Kindle uses is quite nice. **

* The contrast between my Sony 650 and my Kindle 3G's screens isn't all that different in and of itself. There is a difference, however, in the fonts used and the weight of said fonts. I just find the Caecilia font on the Kindle more contrast-y and readable than the fonts on my 650. This is down to personal taste.

** I should add that with some work you can use Caecilia with the Sony readers (not sure about the T1 yet, as it hasn't come out yet). It's not the exact same one used on the Kindle, but you can get it pretty close, I've heard.

As for the Nook Color? I primarily have it to use as a tablet. I don't buy from Barnes and Noble much, unless the books are free. I occasionally buy the Read To Me picture books for my son. I mostly use it for Netflix, web surfing, and games. I run Android on it from an SD card.

I hope I didn't talk to much or confuse you! I hope you enjoy your first reader!

Last edited by anesthezea; 09-29-2011 at 04:53 AM.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote