View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I would say I spend more now. In the past, there were some books (cookbooks, for example) that I would buy anyway. Many others I would get at the library, and I still will go there for 'just browsing' or for books I suspect I might not read again or am not sure I will like. But the 'pulpy' reads, I am actually more likely to buy now that I read in ebook more often. They are cheaper than the paper ones, which in Canada anyway go for $10 or so. And now that I don't have to worry about storing physical books, it's much more like an investment for me because I can keep them all (in the past, I would buy and then sell when I'm done). I recently re-read a favourite series of mine in print, and was really annoyed to find that some of them were missing, no doubt victims of a shelf space purge So if it's under $10 and I want it, I'll buy it. But that's subjective. Nora Roberts, I may read again. Koontz, probably not, so I would get him from the library.

I also find that Fictionwise has encouraged me to spend more than I used to What I do is have a monthly budget (say, $20) and then spend it exclusively on 100% Micropay titles (there usually are at least one or two a month which may interest me). In this way, I get a balance that I can spend throughout the month on other little things. I could buy a couple books a week and still not go over my $20! You can't do that in the print world.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote