View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
On the thread about older women pirating, people discussed at some point about the the websites where you get the ebooks from, and how do you know if the site is reputable or not, how do you know if a free book is free because there is a special promotion by the author, by the store, because it is part of the public domain, or if it is an illegal copy. I think that questioning the source of the file should be a good idea in all cases.

But I don't think that people would really do it.
I'd be interested to know how people COULD to do it, considering that this is already provably happening on Amazon on a regular basis.

Remember when "J.K.R." (or whatever the name was) posted the Harry Potter books for sale on Amazon? Amazon yanked the content pretty quickly, but I'm sure that some people purchased the books. Were they supposed to write jkrowling@yahoo.com or whatever for independent confirmation that SHE posted the books, and not someone else?

There's currently no online database that I know of that is controlled by, say, the government, and says which books have been published online and by whom and where and with valid links to each. It'd be nice to have, but until something like that exists, buying from Amazon (or wherever) is still a crapshoot to a certain (rather small) extent.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote