View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I second the Bandit's opinion about DRM. Breaking DRM is not going to convince the publishers to abandon DRM... it will just encourage them to try and come up with more draconian methods of DRM. The best way to get rid of DRM is to simply refuse to buy products that have DRM, period! Actually, I will make one exception to that. I would be willing to buy DRM'd eReader books for the simple reason that nothing ties the book to a device or to a DRM server. Therefore, as long as I have a copy of the book and a device capable of running the eReader software, I can read the book.

I would like to see a standard evolve for ebooks, but as long as you can convert books to different formats, it is more of a wish than a real need.

I suspect that if the DRM was to die in ebooks, the publishing world would settle on a standard for ebooks soon enough. Its a shame really, the real growth of the ePublishing industry could very likely be harmed by the continued attempts of various ebook software and hardware vendors to capture their audience into a proprietary format. I suspect this is why some publishers are now pushing the ePub format.

--
Bill

Last edited by bill_mchale; 10-10-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Minor correction
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote