View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieperry View Post
Right, new campaign. Get all book sellers to sell books in epub format.
That would be nice, but I will still hold off buying any epub books with Adobe DRM. Just too restrictive. While I don't like DRM, I am willing to put up with it if is not too inconvenient. Right now, that means the devices do not need to be registered or limited in number, I don't need to be online to open/read a book, and the right (read: my) devices need to be supported. None of the ebook DRMs actually meet all those points. eReader has been my compromise format, and it is only missing a few devices to really meet my criteria. Funny how they cannot get this right for ebooks. I can't imagine slipping a DVD into a portable player, and being told that I have too many players, or I need to be online to verify that I can watch the movie.

Luckily, there are lots of books, even new ones, available without DRM, so I will happily vote with my pocket by buying those -- hopefully in epub format! Although, I do hope to see more software/readers with epub support.

Before anyone brings it up, yes I know DRM can be broken. I know DVD DRM is broken. Maybe there is a way around Adobe's DRM. Those are not solutions. As a consumer, I should not need to consult a legal team to decide if my $7 retail purchase will result in a violation of federal or local statute.

I may be a Bandit, but I am also a Gentleman...

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote