View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
esecallum
Banned
esecallum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hacking an LCD picture Frame? Appeal

Challenge and Urgent Appeal--Ereaders Required

I wish someone would turn or hack a cheap $20 or $30 5 inch or 4 inch lcd digital photo frame into a ebook reader for text and rtf files.

I don't want wi-fi, bluetooth, internet access and fancy writing screens,pushing up the price.People who want that can pay extra.

A 4gb flash memory can store 10000 books easily.

Ideally it should have 4gb storage from a internal flash or memory sdd card with a long battery life or the option to turn the backlight off.

By the way why is the amount of memory on the present over priced devices so niggardly?
I mean you can easily get a flash memory of 4 gig for
$3. Most devices have 64 megs or 256 megs.What a joke.

A lcd displays don't consume much power this could extend the battery life.

Eink is unfortunately over priced and SLOW.

Ebook readers like the amazon kindle and sony ereader cost as much as a laptop at present! Rip off pricing.

ebook readers cost from $300 to $800.

They are a rip off.

Manufacturers by keeping prices high are shooting themselves in the foot with poor sales.Very stupid people at the top.

What a rip off.

I mean $300 to $800 for a ebookreader.

You can buy a complex mini netbook for less then a ebook reader now.Only reason I don't use a netbook is due to the poor battery life of only a few hours.

I don't want to pay that much on principle.

Even a mini netbook is unsuitable for ebook reading due to the short battery life.

A low power low cost photoframe would be ideal.

I am surprised that no one has done this hack.

The focus in various forums unfortunately seems to be turning photo frame into video displays for moving pictures which they are not really designed due to their poor frame rates of 8/second! A pointless exercise.

They would are more suited to be ebook readers.

Anyone up for this challenge?

I also appeal to Chinese folk here if you could start producing a simple dedicated paperback sized 4 .5 or 5.00 inch sized screen size thin ebook reader with a lcd screen with optional back light.

Should be able to read text,rtf,pdf,html,word.

no blue tooth.no wi-fi,no hi-fi,no screen annotations,no screen writing,no hand writing,no editing,no coffee making.People who want these gizmos can pay extra for it in mark 2/3 versions.

should run of 2 aa batteries for a month.

should be under $50.
esecallum is offline   Reply With Quote