View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #42
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
My Nook downloaded huge samples the first day and ate 12% of our monthly bandwidth within less than 24 hours, so the wi-fi got locked off and will stay that way unless I take it to McDonald's. B&N assumes unlimited fast cable broadband and the Nook won't really work with satellite (and won't use the 3G if it finds the wi-fi.) I got the updates at a hitel on vacation so the screen wouldn't do that slow sickly wobble from page to page--better, but still slow -- and it downloaded some more blood and gore samples and I don't know what else. Forgot to shut off the wi-fi and it ate another huge chunk of bandwidth by the time I caught it a few hours later. Cutting off its wi-fi would take changing the passcode for everything else, which is a lot of work for something that shouldn't be happening.
I keep my wifi off all the time (except for once the other day...when it then downloaded the samples). Technically you never need to turn on the wifi unless you don't have a computer. You can side load all books--even those you buy from B&N, and you can even side load the software updates.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote