View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
update - the day after forcing the .net 4 install which comicrack wanted I was plagued by BSOD ( which has never happened before on this PC ) . After a nightmare day of running hardware tests, failed system restores ( due to trusteer - rapport crap) , registry restores via ERNDT,and a full repair of office & of the default .net 4 client profile ( repair via control panel) -the BSODs seem to have stopped ( fingers crossed).

that could all be co-incidence, but it's hard to find anything else to blame.
except that there was a windows update which installed when I shut down after the comicrack & .net4 install, which complicated the system restore issue.
Every random BSOD occured when opening or closing some new window on screen . it was not software specific though Outlook was a persistent offender) & was with various stop codes / messages.. I had bad pool error, page fault in non-paged area, system service exception...
I'm guessing that outlook relies on .net framework. could be that the microsoft download does not check PC specs and that it put on a 32 bit version instead of 64 bit - who knows. I think ati catalyst drivers also link into .net framework which could explain the BSODs as always there was a screen refresh involved, due to opening / closing a window.

Anyway I will not be touching the .net install again & comicrack is binned. I'm not that fussed about reading comics!

PS I did see, when googling .net 4, reports of BSOD after installing it, on another board but I can't seem to re-loacate those now.

Last edited by cybmole; 10-04-2010 at 03:39 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote