View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
It sounds like you need to investigate metadata plugboard (for displaying book metadata on specific device). As opposed to save template for Save to Disk, Send to Device, or each specific device save template. The relevant save template only governs the file path and filename on device. But usually device actually displays metadata it reads from the format's internal metadata fields -- which is what the metadata plugboards massage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
...It seems to ignore this template

{authors}/{authors} - {title}

Q1: Will Calibre automatically restructure if I change the template (didn't seem to)
Not the calibre library on computer, no.

Quote:
Q2: Do I have to delete and re-add books to have them fit into the new template (didn't seem to work)
Probably yes, after you set relevant metadata plugboard or save template, if you mean the books on device.

Quote:
Q3: (Most important) Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. Investigate metadata plugboards and plugboard templates. Usually device actually displays metadata it reads from the format's internal metadata fields -- which is what the metadata plugboards massage and set. Metadata plugboards set metadata as I like it on my Kindle Touch and Kindle Keyboard.

Quote:
Q4: Is there a better way?
Yes. Investigate metadata plugboard. Or if you really mean the path and filename on the device, investigate the Kindle save template while Kindle is connected, under the Device icon, Configure this Device.

Quote:
Q5: The template only works for making copy using Save To Disk, correct??
Save to Disk save template, yes. There is also Send to Device save template; and there are also specific device save templates that can be different from the generic Send to Device save template. Save templates set the path and filename on the computer or device (excluding the calibre library folders on computer).

Quote:
And the basic Calibre database folder structure is always that way??
The folder/file structure in the calibre library on the computer can't be changed. The folder/file structure (path and filename) of the books on the device can be changed with the save template in Send Books to Device, which is overridden by a specific device template for the Kindle if that is different (in Configure this Device while connected, or Preferences > Advanced > Plugins > Device Interface Plugins > whichever Kindle driver is relevant > save template). But again, my Kindles don't read the metadata from the path/filename, they read it from the internal fields as set by metadata plugboard.

Quote:
I guess I can live with that.... Never mind

Paul
Thought you might like confirmation.

Edit: What kind of kindle is it?

Last edited by unboggling; 01-11-2014 at 07:56 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote