View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The old Altoids charger

that I built a few years back is still working for me -- actually, built two versions as I updated to the v2 version and then added the resistors around the data pins to keep some devices happy to move to v3. Check MintyBoost in a Google search for more information on this DIY project. I think the kits have been out of stock for the last while but the instructions are still there including the last mods to the kit ( http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/parts.html ). The parts list has the updated schematics for some odd reason.

The last one I build used three D cells in series (staying below the 5V maximum) and worked quite well on a long camping trip for keeping the our devices charged other than the daughter's tablet which needed about 1.4A through a micro-USB connector to charge.

While a fairly simple project, it's more for those who enjoying tinkering with electronics or want to start doing so.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-17-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Corrected a rather nasty typo
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote