View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The numbers are the least important part of the text, and yet with the current formatting they dominate. They are the least important because I strongly doubt that they were in the original text. I think the translator added them. You might want to check and see how the original is formatted; it might give you ideas.

Another possibility would be to only number 1,5 10, 15, etc in parenthesis.

I checked the PDF, and they dominate there as well.

As for the indentation, I would experiment with both hanging and regular indentation to see which works best. My guess is that hanging indentation will be better.

On a related note, I think the formatting as supplied by the original translator is wrong. Points 3 and 4 be written together. Points 5 through 10 should be subordinate to 3&4. Also, point 13 should be subordinate to point 12.

I think you should consider not following the editorial decisions of the original translator. I think it would make a better book.
This translation dates 1910 and in its original publication is heavily annotated... which may explain the use of numbers. So you might well be right in your suggestions.

Due to a desire to remain faithful to the (acknowledgedly imperfect) original (1910 edition) I am unlikely to make editorial changes per se... but upon reflection, the numbers might not be a terrible idea to remove in an unannotated edition.

Thanks, Nate!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote