View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Am finding I get a lot of headaches reading my ebooks
Have a Kobo touch which I find really dark and a Nexus 7 too bright
Has anyone else got the same problem, what do you recommend, as love my ebooks.
I do a lot of night reading and LCD has been the most comfortable way for me to do that for the last decade. My first device was a palm m500 that didn't have an always on backlight, just a greenish glow that only illuminated active pixels. Ever since then, I've been creating my own night modes, typically using a black background and a green text option. White light is the worst offender for headaches, IMO. Though I've heard adjusting fonts, spacing and text size can help for some as well.

I haven't found any storefront readerware that allows much flexibility though. Kindle et al typically have night modes, but it's usually black and white. One way to offset that is with a screen shader (darkens all colors so 'whites' become more grey) like screen filter (search google play), or you can try your luck with something that actually tries to reduce the backlight more than the system usually allows like screendim (didn't work for my particular device, but I'd use it if it did).

The other alternative is a 3rd party reader. Moon+ is my favorite, but most of the popular ones like Aldiko et al support a wider variety of color schemes and options than kindle and the like.

My next move is actually towards an amoled screen, which behave a lot more like my first device, ie, the backlight only shines on active pixels and will result in a lot less light overall. I've read comfortably for years on LCDs, and actually attribute better eye health to using them vs when I was primarily reading paper (often with booklights), though certainly everyone's tolerance is different.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote