View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I couldn't agree more. No ebook gets loaded onto my reader without first exploding it in Calibre, ripping out the crappy CSS and replacing it with something sane. My bugbear is seeing italic and bold text marked up with spans. It's not semantic, it's lazy.

Books with missing scene gaps, missing italics (not even done in the aforementioned lazy way), hard coded hyphenation. Really, it's enough to make me pirate on principle. Almost.
I feel exactly the same way. I do the same; first I'll open a book in Sigil and see how it looks, and check the tags with EPUBMetaDataEditor. Then I start fixing stuff where necessary. Because of Sigil (and knowing XHTML, CSS, and so on) I only ever buy books in EPUB-format if I can.

You know? Some publishers actually use Calibre to create their EPUBs. I don't know what their source format is, but in some books I've bought, I see Calibre's automated style sheet using the ".calibre" classes. Some of these books can't even be sanely deciphered.

I have actually been thinking to export a book into a plain TXT-file, and then create my own EPUB out of it in Sigil. Then I will have a perfect eBook in the end, but who has the time to do it? It can take hours for a long book, especially when you have to put things such italics back in there.

You know.... I PAY for a book so I DON'T have to do that.

I've got a few books I've "found" on the internet. The text is very good, but the formatting was bad. It took me an hour or two per book to fix each of them. With these books, I don't mind, because they were never offered in any eBook format. How they got to float on the net as EPUB (scanned? typed over?) I don't know.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote