View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
To be honest: I'm so tired of it

This rant may be viewed as sort of a whine on an eBook/eReader forum, but I jus thave to say it to get it out of my system.

WHY, OH GOD WHY?!

Why is *everything* that has only the slightest bit to do with digitalization or computers so *incredibly* .... ..... and riddled with the most idiotic errors ever?!

I'm still hitting the same snags as in 2007 when reading eBooks. Bad covers. Bad formatting. Incorrect Table of contents. Wrong tags. Why do I need to fix paragraph indentation, tags, table of contents or layout in an official ePUB book I've just bought?

Seriously. eBooks have been around for years. Sometimes I have a feeling that publishers run their text through an automatic eBookifization-program, stick a cover on the front and put it into stores for anywhere between €2 and €20. And DRM on top of that, with many of them. Some books are not even *worth* sharing. How can anybody take work seriously when it's often carried out so sloppily?

I've deleted 10 books from my Kobo library yesterday; all free ones, granted. I'll make them myself, using the Gutenberg text (edit: or get them here at MR). I've written school reports in LaTeX that looked more professional than some eBooks I've bought (free, and for prices between €2 and €7.50 or so) in the last few days.

Sometimes I wish I've never (re)started to use eReaders and think I should have just replaced all my pockets with hardbacks so I don't have to worry about anything. Not about readability, layout, or usability in the future.

Blergh.

Rant over.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote