View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #609
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
There are a variety of problems with this. The first and foremost is the amount of time it would take me to work out how to use github sufficently well to upload them all and establish my routine for maintaining them. I don't use git in my day job, and I know from the work I did on Sigil a while ago it is not particularly intuitive to use - powerful/flexible - yes, user friendly - definitely not.
O.k., admittedly, I use source control religiously in my line of work, so I did not even think it possible that you would not keep some sort of source control on your machine. And then, given that the plugins are de-facto open source, it would have been nice to expose this to the world.

Usually, I tend to work (private, open source and paid-for work) on two dozen things at once, so keeping all my thoughts (and how I arrived at that idea) in a source control system, by now preferably git, is a lifesaver

My point would have been that with the amazing set of plugins you have written, new plugin writers would have benefited from seeing how you work. On the other hand, if something breaks unexpectedly because, say, goodreads choose to change something, and you are very busy with something else, other people would have a chance to jump in and help out.

Aaaaand, on the gripping hand, even if you lose interest in maintaining calibre plugins at some time (which I see happening all the time with Jenkins plugins), you could pass the torch to someone else.

My points all being made, would you mind if I took at least the released versions of your scripts and created a repository from them? It is always very interesting to see how other people solved certain problems
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote