View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My free iPad Weight Loss Plan, anyone want to join?

I picked up one of these on an impulse at the drug store and just spent a pleasant half hour reading and cycling at home. What fun! This inexpensive gizmo basically turns any chair into a compact recumbent exercise bike. I found the larger size of the iPad (compared to the Kindle) clocked the distracting motion of my legs and helped me zone out so I could enjoy my book and not be counting the seconds on my workout. So I thought I would see how much of this biking I could manage over the next month and see if it leads to any weight loss.

So here is my iPad Weight Loss Plan. Anyone want in?

YOU NEED:

- Any piece of home fitness equipment, ranging from this $20 mini-bike on up depending on what you have or want

- an iPad, obviously

- a reading app such as iBooks, Stanza, Kindle etc. and content for it

- A media app such as YouTube or Netflix and content for it

COSTS:

- Minimum is $20 for the mini-bike, and that's it. You can get free books on iBooks (or from various other sources) or use books you have already, and you can get free media from apps like iTunes (podcasts), NPR, YouTube etc.

- Of course you could go fancy and spend more. I spent about $30 on the model of bike thingy the store had, and I am subscribing to Netflix at a cost of $7.99 per month

THE PLAN:

There are two components to the plan. One is a morning strength workout, two is a morning cardio workout.

THE STRENGTH WORKOUT:

For the strength workout, you have two options.

1) A workout dvd
2) Free workouts on YouTube

For the workout dvd option, choose a well-rounded two-day rotation and use computer software to transfer it into the iPad for easy playing.

For the YouTube option, the sky is the limit but you can start with the free ten-minute workouts from SparkPeople. There is the New You Bootcamp, the 7-Day Swimsuit Bootcamp and others.

THE CARDIO WORKOUT:

Every evening, have some 'me time' and kick back with a book, a movie or both. The catch is, you may not read or watch unless you are on the cardio machine. You can stay at a low intensity and go for sheer duration, or you can kick it and cut the workout short. But THOU SHALT NOT READ OR WATCH UNLESS THOU IS ON THY MACHINE.

So this is my plan Anyone want to join me?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote