View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
My experience in the art world was in painting (former watercolorist)...American Greetings is located here in Cleveland. The artists employed there to create the greeting cards, calendars, frig magnets, etc, made their living making products the PUBLIC would buy. But on their own time, they produced the art they loved, that which was from their hearts...totally different than the mass production they 9to5'd.

I think that must be the same for the writer...there's the Great Novel (or other prose) in one's soul, but the books for the masses pays the bills, Right??
There used to be an equivalent in writing, during the old pulp days when there were many many markets, now it's a lot less hopeful. I don't have the full stats but something like 1% of published writers are rich, 4% make a living, and the other 95% take a second job to make a living. And that's in the markets that actually sell a lot to the general public.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote