View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I can't stand her. I've never agreed with making writing into something mystical or beyond normal human mentality, I think it's counterproductive and disingenuous. Anyone can learn how to produce publishable fiction. There's really nothing exceptional (and certainly nothing religious) about the skill of good writing. Some people do have a predisposition to it, but that doesn't make them prophets. Even in a world which could be proven to have no divine influences, there would still be stories, and images, and music.

My motto is, "Whatever works." I've always been a pragmatist. I don't believe in reducing creativity to some mechanical ruleset, because I think there's a little bit more to it than that, but it's just as bad to go around telling people they're precious and unique snowflakes with divine powers.

In the end it's just psychology and the wonderful things the human brain can do. If you've got a talent, that's a great thing, and worth pursuing -- but why dress it up?

Regards,
Ryan
Don't get me wrong, I think everybody is a writer, or can be if they want to be. But I also think writing is worthy of some romance, some magic that takes it beyond 1+1=story (Otherwise known as the Dan Brown equation). I believe writing is a kind of magic, only sometimes the magician has no idea how he performed the trick.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote