View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The U.S. government already subsidizes the agricultural, mining, petroleum and defense industries. I see nothing wrong with Congress paying certain authors not to write books, just as they pay farmers not to plant crops. I will even pay Patterson not to author another Alex Cross book.
I hear ya.
But still, wouldn't it be better to just save your money and let the market decide? It would be cheaper and you could spend it on something to your taste.

The whole problem with subsidies is that non-consumers end up footing the bill for production/consumption of a product they see no value in and nobody gets to vote with their wallets.

Look at economies in trouble, the world over, and the extent of trouble they face is proportional to the economic distortions from subsidies. Whether to produce or to not-produce. Which results in more of non-desirable products/activities and less of desirable ones. Long term, everybody ends up hurting, including the panhandlers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote