View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
q345
q345 began at the beginning.

Device: none
advanced features

If it's only a safeguard against naive users, tt can always be added to advanced features with proper warning/disclaimer BTW, even if it's in a normal mode and an uneducated user starts playing with Calibre Library directory, he/she easily can get into all kind of troubles, even without NAS, so I wonder if it's the only reason.

I wish the ticket would be given a little bit more explanation, why it's not recommended ( it was just a single sentence ), for instance is there any negative side effects on the long run, but after all it's a free software and we all should thank the developer since he is clearly doing us a huge favor by developing and supporting it.

Regarding environmental variables in general, may be it's too much to ask. I grepped source directory for os.environ.get method and there is not a lot of them, but writing a manual, especially describing the combinations of them might take too much time. I thought this particular option is reasonable to expose, since NASes are mainstream now and installation is so easy that even "dumb" users now purchase them but it's my private opinion of course
q345 is offline   Reply With Quote