View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
By your focus on Calibre, I gather you are mostly interested in DRM-free content. This simplifies matters as you can skip the matter of ebookstore choice which, by all right, should be the first item on the decision tree.

Since you seem open to the possibility of used devices, you might want to add the Pocketbook 301 to you list for consideration. The hardware is a close kin to the Cybook but the software is distinct and truly first-rate.

On the matter of weight, don't get too hung up on it as all 6in readers, even the heaviest (Nook, I think) are fine for regular use and some of the lightest (especially in the 6in arena) tend to be less than fully robust.

If portability is critical, I'd suggest reconsidering the 5in models; I have both 6inchers and a 5in PB360 and I've found the 5incher to be a more enjoyable reading platform; the button layout and the overall size are a joy to use (once customized to my taste).

On the Kindle-side, they are quite competent readers and what they do they do well. The build quality is excellent and the keyboard doesn't get in the way. I'm no fan of keyboards on readers but I wouldn't base my buy/no-buy decision on its presence or absence.

On the Hanlin's, I own a BeBook and the only thing I have to say is they're not bad but neither are they great. The firmware seems to value flexibility over stability. Even with the many alternate firmwares available crashes are a fact of life with them.

On pricing, I would wonder just how firm you are on your target price. With the recent pricing baseline reset in NorthAmerica it would seem you are just under the range where a new Kindle or imported Pocketbook or Cybook Opus might be in reach. I've seen posts around here of UK residents who have reached out across the atlantic for reader deals to good results.

Good luck!

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-27-2010 at 09:33 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote