View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #52
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
But the main problem is this: Nowhere does it say that you cannot re-sell the eBook you "purchase". I cannot find any license anywhere. Everything I see says that I "purchased" an eBook. Yet, with DRM, I have no first sale rights. I obviously have no rights beyond being able to download and read the eBook on approved devices.

I'm not a lawyer, but this reeks of "fraud" to me.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it fraud.

But meanwhile, drop them a note and ask them.

The question comes up all the time with software: "Can I re-sell a piece of software I've purchased?" The answer depends on the license agreement, but the best case boils down to "Yes, if you turn over everything you got when you bought it, and you don't keep a copy yourself."

Transfers of license also require the approval of the vendor of the software. You are the registered user, and assuming they approve, their records must be updated to reflect the new owner.

It's the "not keeping a copy for yourself" that is the sticky part. You licensed the right to read it on your own devices. You did not license the right to reproduce and distribute it, and if you sold a copy while keeping one for yourself, you would be doing so.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote