View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What would be funny, is if someone posted that they did try it!
I did try it.
I have purchased very cheap digital frame (slightly damaged, but that does not play any role here).
It turned out to be unusable for book reading.
  1. display is very low quality lcd
  2. there is an "effect" when it changes pictures and there is no way to switch it off. Each change takes about 2 seconds and is implemented as an animation. Those animations would drive me crazy in a short time
  3. it has no battery and has quite high energy consumption (12V DC input, so the external battery pack would have te be quite big)
  4. the button for advancing pictures is in place that is uncomfortable to operate
  5. jpg - the only supported format is not very well suited for text. png or gif or whatever lossless format would be optimal
  6. there *are* models that are much fancier and support enough formats, are configurable enough, and have decent screen but those are close in price to a second-hand e-ink reader.
  7. did I mention the absolutely abysmal quality of display?
A portable DVD player would be much better for book viewing.
My friend has such player and I have already promised that I would provide a book for him that is a series of bitmaps. Such low-end DVD player costs about 50Eur if you look hard enough or when you find a sale.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote