View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
namati
namati began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
USBNetwork USB Driver & Telnet on Windows XP SP3

After verifying the proper operation of USBNetwork on a K3 with Unix*, I decided to see how WinXP SP3 would handle the connection. Upon connection, the usual 'new hardware found' box appeared. Just for fun, I let it search for the driver. To my astonishment, it found, downloaded and installed the proper driver!!! I needed only to put the IP address (192.168.2.1) in the TCP/IP settings of the connection and then restart the connection. It now connects automatically whenever I plug in the K3 with USBNetwork active.

As for using the connection, I had no problems with simple opperations from a DOS window (telnet 192.168.2.2) or Windows own HyperTerminal. While I could view files with Notepad, I would strongly advise not to attempt saving them with this program (Notepad++, a freeware editor, should work fine, but I've yet to try it on Kindle files).

(I would also strongly advise that those not experienced with Unix/Linux practice on hardware that can be reloaded/restored by the user before working on their Kindle and similar devices. Even a simple typo while using USBNetwork can "brick" your device in the blink of an eye!)

In short, it appears that a WinXP SP3 computer is actually (and surprisingly) a good and simple thing to use USBNetwork with! By adding a simple file editor that won't mangle Kindle files, one can have a basic, working setup with minimum fuss (again, surprisingly).

*SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on a surplus "pizzaware"/POS** box courtesy of Pizza Hut

**"Point of Sale" not "Piece of ..."
namati is offline   Reply With Quote