View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #50
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
OK.
So far you have quite a few interesting suggestions, but none of the posters answered your straightforward questions.

As for suggestions, if you do sell Paperwhite as some people helpfully suggested, how will you read ebooks purchased from Amazon? There are few e-ink readers that read epub AND mobi out of box (PocketBook does, but it doesn't have front-lit E-ink screen yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woel View Post
... Kindle Paperwhite (KPW), and I have been looking into how to best get ePub support on this device. The options I have found so far are Duokan, CoolReader 3 and Hacked Up Reader. In my understanding, Duokan is an OS that can be installed parallel to the original OS on the KPW, while the other two are "apps" that are launched through the interface for books on the Kindle. Based on this, I have some questions:
  1. Which one of these three methods for accessing ePub books would you recommend?
  2. What are the pros and cons of each?
  3. Do you have other suggestions?
I personally prefer Coolreader by Crazy Coder. I have configured it by editing config files in a tex editor on a PC. I have configured regions on the screen that you can tap, hold and tap with two fingers. I have also configured things like default justification by editing the css files.

Pros and cons of some of apps:
I do not like Duokan. It completely takes over your Kindle (it will still let you reboot in an Original Kindle environment. They have completely hijacked the Kindle, linking it to their sites ...
The one think I really disliked about Duokan was the fact that after installation it boots into Chinese user interface and you have to look up picture guide to switch it to English. You only have to do this once.
As I said, I do prefer Coolreader, because I could configure it and it seems to display books the way I like. It doesn't have dictionary.

Other options:
I have mentioned Coolreader by Crazy coder and Duokan.
There is also KUAL. It is not an application that would let you read epubs, but it might be needed to start some of applicaions for reading. There are also many very interesting modules for KUAL.
Have a look at JBPatch - it lest you to set some things like margins and hyphanation for the default Kindle reading app.
There is also Kindle PDF viewer. Do not let the name confuse you, it also reads many, *many*, other formats, including doc, for example. Kindle PDF viewer doesn't run on Paperwhite, but there is a fork (early beta at the moment) that does run on Kindle Paperwhite, See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote