View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Here's a simple, abbreviated, and (from my memory) maybe not exactly accurate step-by-step:

1) Download and install Calibre, and run the program

2) Drag the .lit file into Calibre's window. Click once on it to highlight it.

3) Make sure the author and book title are OK. (They usually are with .lit files.) If not, click on the "Edit metadata" button on top of the Calibre window and edit, then save.

4) Click the "Convert" button near the top right. Usually the default options give you good, readable ebooks when converted. If not, you can e-convert and tweak things later.

5) After the hourglass in the bottom right corner stops, click on the right side of the "Save book" button on top, and select "save lrf only" in the drop-down menu.

6) Pick a place to save your lrf file, then open it in the Sony sw to see how it looks or load it directly onto your Reader.

That's it! (I don't use Calibre to manage my library, which is why I separately save the lrf file in steps 5&6.)

If the .lit has DRM, use the Convert Lit (CLit) utility, described elsewhere on these forums. There's a small GUI program for CLit as well.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote