View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #243
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@danwdoo - this comes back to an earlier discussion on this thread about submitting review data to Goodreads. To which my most recent response has been that I am letting it all percolate a bit longer before I contemplate rewriting the plugin (which I don't have time to do right now anyways). As I said previously I have only recently started using the plugin myself, having developed it for others and so only now am I getting a better feel for the sorts of things I want to do between Calibre and Goodreads that the plugin does not cater for currently.

The problem in your case is that there are multiple API calls involved - you have one set of API calls to determine and resolve whether a book is on a shelf or not, and then separate API calls to manipulate the review for a book. There is no single "add this book to a shelf if it doesn't already, along with this review" type call (or at least there never used to be). So each of those actions need to be managed by the plugin, and the various permutations of them need to be handled by the GUI. Which without considering in detail I think requires a fairly radically different approach to the menu items and screens. There was only so far I could take this plugin with the "add another feature as a menu item" approach, and already there are (perfectly valid) comments from people who want to add a book to multiple shelves, or in your case add a book along with a review (something I want to do as well).

It is going to be a few months before I can revisit this I believe - in the meantime I just use the plugin to add the book to the shelf, then right-click to view the shelf and further manipulate the book data there.

As for Nyn - "copies of the reviews?". For what purpose? Are you just wanting to see your comments (as you could do with a custom column) or for some other reason?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote