View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #38
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I'm not sure I'd say "rubbish," but there are definitely things that don't work well on eInk devices at the moment. I don't think it makes sense to pretend otherwise. However, color eInk should resolve most of those issues.

Otherwise, a 6" screen is a 6" screen; if that size of display doesn't work for what you're reading, a 6" tablet won't improve that particular aspect.
Well yes and no; a high-contrast LCD with a given method of font-smoothing (to compensate for the low resolution) will display finer text than will a lower-contrast screen. This is painfully obvious with traditional Chinese, but I see it with some of my favorite western typefaces as well.

Then there's the speed side of things, which is another problem too often dismissed by people with low standards.

Hopefully with things like Mirasol, speed and color issues can be largely resolved, leaving contrast and resolution as the biggest problems to overcome with reader devices. LiquavistaBright claims to get fairly high contrast compared to e-ink (like the image at http://www.displaysearchblog.com/200...international/) and could solve some problems on that end of things, and some LCDs have been done with resolutions approaching that of low-quality printing, so I think it might get tackled from a resolution angle as well, reducing the need for anti-aliasing in fonts.

The near future could very well be much much better than what is currently available, but then again, it's very possible that it'll go nowhere interesting.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote