View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since Irving confessed to the fake biography of Hughes and was sentenced to prison for almost 2 years for fraud, then I think Irving should take advantage of this 'negative' part of his life.

"THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HOWARD HUGHES" now says nothing 41 years later and resonates in no way with Irving's decision to commit fraud.

I think it should be retitled to take 'advantage' of this aspect of his crime, if one can think of it in that sense.

Perhaps even repackaging "Jailing" with the "Autobiography" [if those two are related] - ALONG WITH ANY NEWLY WRITTEN THOUGHTS ABOUT THE CRIME - would be an interesting marketing ploy.

Don
I like Don's idea. More specifically, I like the idea of repackaging into new editions with added value - new content. Even if you did this for only one book, successfully marketing the new edition would increase exposure (and sales) to the other titles without having to change them.

But it has to clearly be a new edition, with adequate new content to justify it. In other words, sufficient new content that it would be interesting to those who owned the original work. Otherwise it's just a very transparent marketing ploy.

Simply re-titling the existing works is not a good idea. It can get you caught up in issues with retailers and readers. As someone else already mentioned, ISBNs are tied to one format of one named title anyway, so trying to slip a new title into an existing edition is bad form and can get you de-listed.

So my next question would be - does your father currently hold rights to all formats? If not, which ones are you in a position to work on? Look at what you've got and look for ways to make them fresh. Autobiography, Hoax and Jailing make an interesting bundle, yes?

Is there a journalist or respected blogger that would be interested in doing a retrospective piece? Does your father have any unpublished bits that could be released in a clever manner?

There's lots to work with here. So much interesting stuff, and such an interesting man! Don't fuss about titles - think bigger!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote