View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
Nook vs. Nook Color vs. Sony 650

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while now.

I know, this gets asked a lot here, and I've been doing a lot of reading and research. I had planned to get an ereader back in August but had to put it off, and now I seem to be paralyzed by too many choices!

Here is what I am looking for....

1. ePub! My library has a pretty healthy serving of ebooks. In fact, in just two pages worth of books I saw at least 6 I would want to read. Some are Adobe PDF, some are Adobe ePub. I read a LOT when I can (or used to before I had kids), so this is pretty critical. I think I would save a lot of money over time. I tend to forget to return physical library books so this is a great way to check books out with no fines!

2. Wireless, at least wi-fi if not wi-fi/3G. I go back and forth on this one, I'll be honest. While in theory it's great to do books on demand, etc, if I'm primarily doing library books or books from other sites, this feature becomes less useful. BUT there have been times when I have been traveling and been super disatisfied with what I have brought with me, so this would be a definite nice to have.

3. Price IS a factor, the Sony 950 is out of my reach at $299 or I would probably be looking at that more closely. The Nook Color is a stretch but possibly doable.

I go back and forth between LCD and eInk. I read at night in the dark quite a bit on my laptop and that hasn't bothered me. And the Nook Color is appealing for reading kids books at bedtime. But I do want to be able to read outside in the sunshine as well. It seems like it would be easier to add a book light than read an LCD screen in sunshine and I DO read more at night. But I do like the way eInk looks as well.

Thoughts? I thought I had decided on the nook but the nook Color is also appealing. I would probably snap up the Sony 650 if it had Wireless, which is why I am so conflicted.

Should I just go out and get one? I'm sure I'll love whatever I have. I love having the Kindle app on my laptop with a bunch of free books downloaded, but I decided that ePub is a necessity.
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote