View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by smerrall View Post
After losing, do they think they may be on the wrong track? Not on your life.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...ml?autostart=1

The music industry says it may have no choice but to sue individuals for illegal file sharing unless the federal government intervenes with a solution to its piracy woes.
And why shouldn't they sue individuals? The only argument I can think of is that individuals usually don't have the resources to stand up to the RIAA (or whoever's) lawyers-and that can be where (in the US) the ACLU or EFF can help. Maybe-first we need to find some individuals who are being sued who are actually innocent, and that's pretty hard.

One legislative change I'd like to see made is laying more 'guilt' on those who share the illegal copies than on those who simply download them. I'm not sure if that would mean de-criminalizing downloading or simply establishing different penalties. But this is a decision I'm glad to see as it's been my long-standing contention that if the RIAA, etc wants to stop piracy then they need to go after the pirates-not people who (as an example) created the Internet (or swap meets, or whatever) in which the pirates operate.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote