View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kindle Reader on Windows 8

I've just got my first Windows 8 PC. (And I'm struggling mightily with it, but that's not the purpose of this post.)

The machine came installed with the Kindle for PC app. I've registered this to my Amazon account, and am able to open any of my books without difficulty.

However, there are a few points that are giving me trouble:

1. Where are the books physically stored? When I open a I book, I can see it being downloaded. It then becomes visible in the Device screen (as opposed to the Cloud screen). But I cannot find the physical file anywhere. (The reason I want to know this is so that I read books that were not purchased from Amazon.)

2. How do I search within a book? If I go to the Search option on the Charms bar, it lets me search across the titles of my books, or search the Amazon store. I can't see how to find a specific piece of text in the book itself.

3. How do I close the app? (This is more of Windows 8 question than a Kindle one; none of the apps that you launch from the Start screen have a title bar, and therefore no way of minimising, restoring or closing them, as far as I can see.)

4. And finally, if I can't solve any of the above problems, can I download the Windows XP / 7 version of the app, and run it on my Windows 8 machine?

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote