View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I'd put a period there. I know that grammatically your sentence is correct, and some might cringe at the full stop of a period, but given current modern usage that's what I'd probably use. I've also read that many NY editors don't like using semicolons, or ask that their authors use them sparingly, so that might be adding to my hyper awareness. (I hope to one day be published - if I can get over my fear of submitting, that is!)

It also doesn't help that I often see them used incorrectly. I used to read someone's first drafts, and she could barely figure out where to put a comma. Didn't stop her from adding semicolons everywhere, though.
I don't have a problem with that. I was, however, taught to use semicolons when I was in school in the dim and distant days of the '70s and, I'd like to think, taught how to use them correctly, so for me they're just a normal part of writing. I do agree, though, that it's better not to use them at all than to use them wrongly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote