Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #146
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
So I finally tried this and I'm super satisfied with results
nonetheless - I have an impression that KT is opening files a bit longer - am I correct ?
(first thing - I changed margins both in pdfs and normal reader)
will it have impact on battery life ? I mean - if it's slower.. maybe it consumes more CPU..
Yes and no. You are correct that things may take *minimally* longer initially, because there is a bit more logic involved in class loading, and patching.(*) This should be in the order of milliseconds though, and is only relevant when loading a class for the first time.

I could very well imagine that it's a psychological effect of having the patches activated for the first time: You are looking closer at how your device behaves. And you notice that everything is a bit sluggish in the beginning. This is normal, and a non-patched Kindle behaves exactly the same. Because classes are loaded on demand, the very first access to some functionality requires a bit more time. Try it: uninstall jbpatch, and reboot. Your subjective experience will pretty much be the same as with jbpatch installed.

To your second question: none of the patches published so far have any effect on battery life(*). I am 100% sure of this, because I know the system in and out.

(*) Ok, let's split hairs : jbpatch may consume a few million CPU instructions more, over the average device uptime. So assuming an average uptime of 20 days, you might lose a minute or two of battery time - but not more. In fact, some patches (TTS, no-ads) might even (minimally) *extend* battery life, because they replace complex calculations by a simple "always true"/"always false" result.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote