View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Could you preserve the file dates (timestamps) when you unzip/rezip the epub?

Two reasons:
One is completely OCD, but if all I'm doing is removing unwanted files somebody else (iTunes/calibre) added to my retail epub, I'd rather keep the html original, including timestamp.

The other is it makes for an interesting anomaly -- if I make a copy of an epub, (which then matches in your binary compare), strip the bookmarks file out of both copies (at slightly different times), the copies no longer compare:
even though all the content (and hashes) are identical the epub itself is different (and hashes different) due to the timestamps differing.

-- This brings up another thought -- would it be practical to add a "fuzzy" option to your binary compare, something like you open the epub and check the hash of the largest folder for a match?
(and should I bring this question up in the Duplicate Check thread?)

Last edited by capnm; 05-30-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: afterthought
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote